Thursday, July 9, 2015

Emilia, You're Breaking My Heart

  Image result for emilia clarke terminator

Mostly, I'm out of the loop. I have never watched Game of Thrones, the very popular HBO(?) show that is all the rage today. Emilia Clarke, the comely young star of the show has become quite famous from her appearance on GoT (as the hipsters say).

I saw her on Broadway a couple of seasons ago in Breakfast at Tiffany's and the show as a whole was quite a disappointment. She wasn't Audrey Hepburn, darn it, and the director made many unfortunate choices that led to the flop that the show became.

I recently took my kids to see the latest sequel in the Terminator series, Terminator Genisys, in 3D (oooh!). The movie was what you'd expect, a formulaic rehash of the earlier installments, giving Arnold Schwarzenegger an opportunity to collect a big payday while repeating the iconic lines made famous in the original (I'll be BACK!). It also starred Emilia Clarke.

Was it the dreck all around that made her shine? I don't know, but I have to say she did a helluva job in this movie in spite of all the cars blowing up, robots being destroyed and re-spawning, and the confusing dopeyness of the script. Clearly the camera loves her, and she may be the only one to emerge from this movie with their self respect intact.

I'm looking forward to seeing her in something other that an Audrey Hepburn role, or in these action fantasies like Terminator or Game of Thrones. She seems to have that unique appeal and ability that could wind up just being wasted on these lightweight vehicles. An adult and original script would be a wonderful prospect, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment