Saturday, May 9, 2015

The Visit Triumphant

                                                   

Two weeks plus since opening night, I finally got to sit and watch the entire show from start to finish.

Yes, I'm typically easy to please. I like most shows that I see, but this was an electric bolt out of the blue! It's always welcome when a Broadway show (a musical yet!), is not pandering to the lowest denominator and isn't a children's fairy tale.

The Visit is the kind of a musical that makes me remember how great musicals could be. It brings back that feeling of seeing your first musical that knocks your socks off, leaving you desperately craving for more musicals like it. In this era of Disney Broadway, it's become so very rare. So rare that it must be cherished even more.

The cast is wonderful, and Chita Rivera dominates in a career capping performance that is utterly dynamic. Yet, for all of these riches, the stars are Kander and Ebb. I found myself completely captivated by the score. It's a true throwback to Broadway's, and Kander and Ebb's glory days.

It's musicals like The Visit that children should be exposed to, it's sure to spur a lifelong need to see Broadway musicals in ways that recycled cartoons and fairytales have no chance to do.

Wow.


No comments:

Post a Comment