Monday, September 30, 2013

Letting Go

The instinct for protecting your children is deeply ingrained. So deep that it feels as natural as living and breathing itself. It seems impossible to not ferociously defend these defenseless babies.

But babies grow up. And as they do, they rebel against the very protections that they've lived comfortably with for years. I know intellectually that I can't treat my newly minted teenager the way I did when she was a toddler. She may be in no less need of my protection than years ago, but of course, the protection mechanism needs to be fine tuned for the new and different set of circumstances that exists.

It has snuck up upon me, and has smacked me across my face with a shocking and humbling force. I guess that there is no realistic way to expect that domestic tranquility is possible 100% of the time, but I guess it's nature's unfair way that the responsibility for making the necessary adjustments belongs to the Mom and Dad.

It ain't easy. Wait, that's an understatement. It's very nearly unbearably hard.

But I'm trying. I love her too much not to.



No comments:

Post a Comment