Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Funeral For a Friend

Today was the funeral of my good friend, Mark Salomon, a fellow I've known for nearly my entire life. I was honored to speak at the memorial chapel, and this is what I said:


I've known Mark since we were both six years old. I'd like to share an anecdote about Mark and me.

I remember a summer vacation around thirty years ago that we spent at his family's vacation home in Western New York. Over several days, a stray cat we had been feeding, finally decided to introduce us to her family of new born kittens. We were both stunned at the trust we received from the mother cat. At the end of our stay, we left all our remaining provisions in a spot that the cat could access, to feed her family. Through the years we both often warmly recalled that story.

Mark was always very smart, very funny, kind, generous, and most of all, humane. He was a true mensch.

I'm going to miss him very much.





No comments:

Post a Comment